Safety in the Car Park
Keeping You Safe
A lot of car parks can be dark or dimly lit places with plenty of corners and unusual sounds, so it’s no surprise that drivers can feel un-ease when looking for their car. It's easy to let your imagination run away with itself, so to give you assurance we have penned a few tips to keep you feeling safe next time you’re in a car park:
- Where to park
- We suggest you park in a well lit area that is covered by CCTV. This will keep unwanted visitors from coming to inspect your prized possession. It’s also a good idea to avoid parking near lifts and pedestrian corners as these areas attract more people. To reduce the chances of scratches or scrapes make sure that the parking space is big enough for your vehicle and not too close to another car.
- Remember where your car is
- We suggest that you try and keep a note of where you leave the car. Most car parks are now numbered or have lettering so you can remember where you’ve parked up. For the more digitally minded, there’s loads of mobile apps that can help locate your car.
- Personal belongings
- Never leave any valuables on show when you’re not in the car. This really is an open invitation to would-be thieves! We recommend using your glove box or the boot to hold all your valuables. After all you can never be too careful.
- Returning to your car
- You can often feel uneasy returning to your vehicle, especially if it’s late at night or the car park is not well lit. To help combat this we suggest that once you get to your car look inside the front and back of the vehicle to make sure all is okay. Once everything is fine, quickly get inside the vehicle, lock the doors and put your seat belt on.
- Stay public
- If you’re unfortunate enough to get a flat tyre or if you’re car is broken into we’d advise you to notify the car park management and call the Gardaí. Once you have done this, you should go back into the shopping centre where there are more people around instead of staying in the dark by yourself.
We hope these tips will help you feel that little bit safer when you've parked your car. If you’re looking to protect your car with great value car insurance, hit Get a Quote or give us a call on 1890 30 20 20.