Insuring Your Diamond
Tips to Protect Your Precious Rock
This seems to be the best time of year for proposals and getting down on one knee. So whether you’ve gotten engaged over the Christmas/New year or planning a special surprise with Valentine’s Day approaching we have a few tips to insuring your engagement ring.
- It’s all about the C’s
- Choosing an engagement ring is one of the biggest decisions you will ever make. So remembering the C’s is crucial; Carat, Colour, Cut, Clarity and Contents Insurance. Don’t worry we know it can be a stressful time looking for the perfect ring but if you can take care of the carat, colour, cut and clarity then we’ll take care of the rest. That’s why we’re the good guys in insurance.
- Read your insurance documents
- Have a quick read through your insurance policy documents or else call us and we will be able to advise you whether your ring is covered under your home or contents cover. In most cases your engagement ring will have to be over a certain amount for it to be noted as a specified item in your contents insurance.
- Get your ring valued
- It is highly important for you to get your ring appraised and valued. Most jewellers have the valuing service. So why not pop down to your local jewellers to get your precious diamond approved as it could save you heartache in case the dreaded should happen. The valuation process should only take a couple of days to get a concrete value for your piece of jewellery. The jewellers will give you a formal document that you can give to your insurer. We also suggest to get your ring valued every two years as value on jewellery can go up and down in price.
- Picture perfect
- Rings come in all shapes and sizes which will make yours one of a kind so we suggest to take plenty of photos of the engagement ring and keep them safe with all the important documentation. We suggest giving a photo of the ring with the documentation to the insurer and to keep one yourself for your own records.
- Ask for the right cover
- Your engagement ring will last a long time so having it properly covered against loss, theft or accidental damage will make sure you and your partner will have a few less restless nights.Most home insurance policies have the optional extra of adding all risks cover to your policy. Make sure to ask your insurer when taking out, or renewing, your house insurance policy if they offer this type of cover.
Chill are only a quick phone call away so if you have any questions about insuring your engagement ring why not call us on 1890 30 20 20 today. We might not be able to tell you if your partner will like the ring but we can help you make sure your engagement ring is safely looked after.