How Much Motor Tax Will I Pay?

Motor Tax Prices 2021


Getting your head around how much motor tax you need to pay and how that amount is calculated can be complicated, especially since the entire process changed in January 2021. From engine size and CO2 emissions output to when your car was registered and what powers it, there are a number of factors to take into account when working out how much you need to pay.

To give you a helping hand, here at Chill, we wanted to provide a helpful guide to answer all your motor tax payment queries and questions. From knowing how much you’ll need to pay for your current vehicle to understanding how that figure is calculated and what discounts and allowances are available, we have you covered. Read on to find out more.

How Much Is My Motor Tax?

As we will look at in a little more detail later in this blog, the amount of motor tax you pay depends on how old your car is and/or its CO2 emissions output. This means to find out how much motor tax you owe in order to legally drive your current vehicle, it’s first important to find out how old it is. If your car was manufactured prior to July 2008, the amount of tax you pay on your privately owned vehicle is based solely on engine size. If, however, your vehicle was registered between 1st July 2008 and 31st December 2020, you will be taxed using a CO2 emissions output-based system, ranging from band A0 to G. Finally, if you own a car registered after 1st January 2021, it will fall into one of 16 tax bands based on emissions ranging from 0 – 0 to 226 – 999. It’s worth noting that if you drive a zero emission hydrogen or electric car, regardless of when your car was registered, you are likely to pay the lowest level of motor tax - typically €120 per year.

The easiest way to find out how much motor tax you’re required to pay is to visit Motor Tax Online where you can use their handy Motor Tax Rates By Vehicle Registration Number calculator.

How Is Motor Tax Calculated?

As touched upon above, the way motor tax is calculated in Ireland comes down to three basic assessments. These are:

1. The size of engine in your vehicle - if your vehicle was manufactured before July 2008.
2. The CO2 emissions output of your vehicle based on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) - if it was registered between 1st July 2008 and 31st December 2020.
3. The CO2 emissions output based on the Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) - if your car was registered after January 1st 2021.
4. To give you a better idea of what this actually means, we have provided useful tables which detail the different annual tax bands in these three major categories.

Vehicles Registered Before July 2008

If your car was manufactured prior to July 2008, your vehicle tax is still based on engine size. Tax band guidelines can be seen below.

Size Of Engine (cc) Tax Cost Per Year
Up to 1,200 €199 - 330
1,201 - 1,600 €358 - 514
1,601 - 2,000 €544 - 710
2,001 - 2,400 €906 - 1,034
2,401 - 2,800 €1,080 - 1,391
2,801 - 3,000 €1,443 - 1,494
3,001 + €1,809

With this in mind, for example, if you own a 2003 registered, 1.2 Seat Ibiza, you would be looking at an annual tax cost of €330. This is because it is a 1,200cc engined car, manufactured before 2008, placing it in the pre 2008, 1101-1200 tax band, the top end of the ‘Up to 1,200cc’ band shown above.

Vehicles Registered Between July 2008 and December 2020

If your car was registered between July 2008 and December 2020, your vehicle’s motor tax is calculated based on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) measured CO2 emissions output of your vehicle. As you can see below, each band is formed by a specific range of CO2 emissions (in grams per kilometre) that your car produces.

Tax Band Tax Cost Per Year
Band A0 (0g/km) €120 (zero emissions electric or hydrogen cars)
Band A1 (1-80g/km) €170
Band A2 (81-100g/km) €180
Band A3 (101 to 110g/km) €190
Band A4 (111 to 120g/km) €200
Band B1 (121 to 130g/km) €270
Band B2 (131 to 140g/km) €280
Band C (141 to 155g/km) €400
Band D (156 to 170g/km) €600
Band E (171 to 190g/km) €790
Band F (191 to 225g/km) €1,250
Band G (226g/km +) €2,400

For example, if you own a 2011 1,000cc Citroen C1, your car would fall into Band A3, as it produces between 101 and 110g/km of CO2 emission, meaning you would need to pay €190 per year.

Vehicles Registered From January 2021

If you have a new car registered on or after 1 January 2021, your vehicle’s motor tax is calculated based on the Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) for CO2 emissions. You can find details of these tax bands below.

Tax Band Tax Cost Per Year
0g/km €120
1 - 50g/km €140
51 - 80g/km €150
81 - 90g/km €160
91 - 100g/km €170
101 - 110g/km €180
111 - 120g/km €190
121 - 130g/km €200
131 - 140g/km €210
141 - 150g/km €270
151 - 160g/km €280
161 - 170g/km €420
171 - 190g/km €600
191 - 200g/km €790
201 - 225g/km €1,250
226g/km + €2,400

For instance, if you own a 2021 1,000cc Volkswagen Polo, you would need to pay €200 per year, as this vehicle falls into the 121 - 130g/km CO2 emissions tax band.

How To Apply For Free Motor Tax For The Disabled

If you are a disabled driver, or provide mobility care for someone else with a disability, you may be entitled to a certain level of tax relief privileges, including free or discounted motor tax. The Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers Scheme provides several tax relief privileges connected not only to purchase, use and adaptation of specialist vehicles used by drivers and passengers with a disability, but also the motor tax connected with these vehicles.

In order to qualify for motor tax relief under this scheme, the person with a disability (not necessarily the driver) must possess a valid Primary Medical Certificate (PMC). This document can only be issued by the Health Service Executive (HSE) following an examination carried out by an independent medical practitioner and details the specific disabilities an individual lives with and the support they could benefit from.

To qualify for motor tax exemption, you will need to apply to Revenue. If your application is approved, you will be sent a certificate of approval. Once this is received, simply go to your local Motor Tax Office along with your certificate of approval, Vehicle Registration Certificate and change of particulars form RF111. If all is in order, you will be issued with an exempt tax disc.