Haulage or Fleet Insurance

Which Does Your Business Need?


Here at Chill we work with Irish businesses to help them get the business cover they need at a price that suits their budgets. This can involve working with them to identify the type of cover that may match their individual requirements.

One of the most common questions we get asked by our customers is what is the difference between fleet and haulage insurance. If this is a quandary that your business regularly faces don’t worry as we’re going to briefly breakdown both types of cover so you have a better understanding of each.

What is fleet insurance?

If your business has more than 2 vehicles on the road then you may require fleet insurance. Typically, a fleet is defined as 2 or more vehicles that can be a mixture of cars/small vans/transit vans, trucks etc. Unlike private motor cover, where you are insuring an individual vehicle, fleet insurance allows businesses to insure a variety of company vehicles. This is a specific type of commercial insurance that gives a company the option of insuring their vehicles with a choice from fully comprehensive, third party or third party, fire & theft cover. Each one of these commercial cover options is similar to the options available to private motor insurance customers.

As your company may have a combination of vehicle types on the road you may find that you will require a tailored and bespoke policy which may include open driver or roadside assistance. As your fleet can change during the course of your policy make sure you inform your insurer of this when arranging your cover.

What is haulage insurance?

If your business primarily involves you delivering goods for others then you may require haulage insurance. Haulage insurance covers both single and large fleet businesses with the primary distinction being that the haulier is delivering other peoples goods. Haulage is defined as "Hire and Reward" which covers vehicles from 3.5 tonnes upwards (HGV, artic lorries, big trucks, etc) carrying goods for others. This type of cover is usually, but not always, utilised by logistic or delivery companies. Examples of companies who might require this type of cover include those who have a fleet of large commercial vehicles. The requirements of the policy holder can vary between companies which may give rise to the need for a tailored policy that can include added cover for goods in transport or accidental damage, fire & theft insurance for trailers.

How to get the cover you need.

As you can see there are a number of similarities between both haulage and fleet insurance so you might have some further questions about which policy would best suit your business. The important thing to remember is that if you are searching for either type of cover that there is always help at hand. If you are looking for haulage or fleet insurance why not call us on 01 400 3400 where our helpful team are always available to help you get the cover you need at a price that suits your company’s budget.