Driving In Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Green Card Brexit Update


On a daily basis, we hear lots of discussions regarding Brexit and the impact that it will have here in Ireland. Previously, it was advised by the Irish government that a Green Card would be required by Irish Motorists, as proof of insurance, wishing to travel to Great Britain and Northern Ireland in the event of a ‘No Deal’ Brexit.

However, Chill Insurance would like to share an important update on this position in relation to Green Cards.

If the UK leaves Europe without a deal, the UK Government has advised that they will accept valid insurance certificates and discs for Irish registered vehicles as proof of insurance.

In other words if you have an up-to-date insurance disc, you will not be required to have a Green Card to drive in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

If you previously requested and received a Green Card, it remains valid up to the renewal date and can be presented to the authorities in Great Britain and Northern Ireland as proof of insurance for your Irish registered motor vehicle.

Insurance Cover Post Brexit

If the UK leaves Europe without a deal on 31st October, your car insurance policy with Chill Insurance will remain valid. There will not be any change to your existing level of cover which allows you to travel to Northern Ireland and to Great Britain. If you have any questions on the level of your cover, please feel free to speak to one of our customer care agents online here.

If you would like to read more about this positive update with regards to the Green Cards, please visit The Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) website.