Cookie Policy
We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience and help our marketing efforts. By continuing to browse, we'll assume you're happy for your browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our cookie policy for more.

Third Party and Comprehensive Cover

Questions We Hear Most

We know looking for the right car insurance policy can drive you round the bend. So we've made a list of car insurance FAQ's to help give you a steer.

If you have any other queries, we are always on hand to help. Simply give us a call on 01 400 3400.

What is the breakdown assist number?
If you've purchased Mapfre breakdown assistance through Chill and need roadside assistance, please call us on 1800 404 444. Our friendly team is on standby 24 hours a day to get you up and running as soon as possible.
What is third party and third party fire & theft?
Third party insurance is the most basic level of cover for car insurance. It insures you against claims made against you, such as property damage and personal injury. Third party fire & theft provides you with the same as above plus cover for fire, theft, attempted theft or damage to your vehicle.
What about comprehensive car insurance?
These policies incorporate third party, fire and theft cover and also include accidental damage to your car. For example, if your car is damaged while parked you can claim from your policy for accidental damage. Comprehensive insurance normally includes cover for windscreen repairs and breakdown rescue too. There's also good news if you're a careful drive. Lots of insurance companies we work with offer discounts to people who have no claims or penalty points.
If I've previously been a named driver on another person's policy, will I still be eligible for a no claims bonus?
You certainly will. Most companies we work with give a no claims discount, which is based on the number of full years that you've been a name driver. It's pretty straightforward. your driving experience must be current and you must be claim free. You'll just need to provide proof of your continuous driving history with a letter form the insurance provider.
We have two cars in the family - can I get a discount?
You may be able to get a discount if your spouse or partner has a full-time use of a company car or the car is insured in their name. If you'd like to find out more, give us a call on 01 400 3400.
I'm thinking of buying a second vehicle - will I be able to use my no claims bonus again?
Unfortunately not. You can only use your bonus with one vehicle at any one time. But you will be able to start earning another no claims discount if you take out a policy for a second car.
What does DOC stand for?
DOC stands for "Driving Other Cars". This type of cover allows the policyholder to drive a car that isn't owned or hired by them, their spouse or an employee. DOC is not available for all policies and the cover is always third party only. Always check with your insurer about this and if it is included in, or can be added to, your policy.
If I'm a named driver can I drive someone else's car?
No, you won't be covered as a named driver. When the driving of other cars cover is provided, it's only available to the policyholder.
Can you explain what a policy excess is for car insurance?
The excess is the amount not covered by your policy. For instance, if your excess is for €300 and you're claiming for €3,000, the insurance settlement that you receive will be €2,700. All policies carry some form of excess. Sometimes you can get a discount on your insurance by increasing the policy excess.
If I have a comprehensive policy does this mean I have open driving?
No it doesn't. To be covered for open driving you'll have to request this from your insurance company.
Is it possible to cancel my car insurance policy?
Yes, you can cancel at any time by returning your insurance certificate and disc along with a written request to cancel your policy. We'll arrange the cancellation once we receive your documents. Always ensure you check the costs of the termination. You may be penalised and charged short period rates for terminating the contract early.
You deal with loads of insurance companies - what security do they have?
You'll be pleased to hear that all the insurance companies we work with are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
How safe is it to use my credit card on the Chill Insurance website?
Extremely safe! We've invested heavily in industry leading encryption technology through SSL. This means that your personal information and credit card details will be kept safe.