Buying Your First Car
Everything new drivers should know
Are you about to buy your first car? The whole process can be daunting at first as you will be getting advice from friends and family about what are the best options on the market.
To help you through that murky first decision, Chill have put our heads together and have come up with some quick tips on how to make that first buy the best buy for you. We aim to make sure you know how to get, and plan for, the car you want and can afford.
- Do you know your budget?
- Knowing how much you are able to spend on your car can help influence your decision making. There are some things to take into consideration apart from just the price of the car.
- How much will your car tax be?
- How much can you afford to pay for fuel each week?
- How old is the car? As this can mean putting it through the NCT once a year or every two years.
- Our tip is to take the above into consideration and to not spend all your savings on a car you might not be able to maintain.
- What do you need the car for?
- Another important question to ask yourself is, what will I be doing with the car? If you are going to be commuting back and forth from work then you need to consider how many miles will you be traveling.
- Our tip is to estimate how much driving you will be doing weekly.
- Buy a new car or get a second hand one?
- That fresh new car smell can be enticing but if your budget doesn't stretch to it then a second hand car can be your best option.
- Our tip is, if you are buying a second hand car use www.cartell.ie to check into the vehicles history. This site will tell you if the vehicle is salvaged, has been in an accident, or has had any additional changes made.
- Should you buy from a dealership or private dealer?
- For most doing business with a licensed dealer gives you a bit more assurance. But, you shouldn't rule out a private sale from an individual; some very good deals can be found by purchasing a used vehicle from someone who has properly maintained the vehicle and is just looking to sell it.
- Our tip is to check various car websites to see what deals are available.
If you have bought a new car why not visit our car insurance page where we will search lots of insurers to get you the right policy for your new car! You can also call us on 01 4003400 and our dedicated team will be more than happy to help.