Data Warehouse Developer
This is a senior technical role reporting into the Senior Data Manager, the candidate will have a strong background in Data Warehouse solution design and implementation, and will be responsible for developing Chill’s Data Warehouse assets to meet new business requirements.
The candidate will support the Extract, Translation and Load (ETL) layer operating between the transactional internal systems, external data sources, and the Data Store layer, including ensuring appropriate data standards and control are in place. A core focus of the role will be progressing the team’s use of MS Azure Services to integrate a suite of data sources. The role also requires the design and development of new and existing data objects within the Data Warehouse layer using MS SQL coding, and developing consumable datasets for use in the Tableau reporting layer.
The role will include delivery of the day-to-day elements of the Chill Data services including change requests, ad-hoc and business-as-usual (BAU) activities. It will also require candidates to engage with stakeholders to understand and clarify business requirements and design appropriate solutions.
- Actively engage with the business stakeholders to interpret and understand business requirements for potential Data Warehouse solutions;
- Prepare technical specifications in line with business requirements, and secure appropriate business support and approvals for the proposed solution;
- Design, code and build scripts, stored procedures or ETL objects as required within the data layer and reporting objects / procedures in line with specifications;
- Design and build new solutions within Chill’s MS Azure computing environment to integrate various data sources including Azure Data Event Streaming and Azure Data Factories.
- System test all development objects in line with specifications and manage deployment release of MI solutions to production environments, and maintain technical documents as required post go-live;
- Manage and support ad-hoc Data requests from the business, and provide BAU support and resolve issues raised by users concerning the Data Warehouse;
- Manage your own capacity, and junior developers that may be assigned to you, to meet agreed timelines for in-flight change deliverables, and provide status updates to the line manager and /or the Head of Function as required;
- Ensure Data governance, and data policies are being adhered to in delivering high quality Data Warehouse solutions and services to the business;
- Apply agreed development standards and quality levels to all areas of activity;
- Liaise with IT on related projects or change items and manage 3rd party reporting software / toolsets where required.
- Ability to optimize/streamline integration to minimize resource demand, improve performance and reduce costs
Experience & Qualifications
- University degree in Computer Science or related field (e.g. mathematical science);
- Highly experienced in data preparation, data gateway and data warehousing projects, including utilisation of cloud based integration tools;
- High level of expertise (5+ years) in MS SQL Server toolset including MS SQL coding, MS Visual Studio, SSRS and SSIS tools, Azure Data Factories, Azure Data Event Streams, Azure Data Tables, Cosmos DB and Azure Synapse.
- High level of competency in RDBMS, database design and development and data structure methodologies;
- Expertise in implementing Business Intelligence reporting solutions with a robust route-to-live process; specific expertise in Tableau would be an advantage;
- DP-203 Data Engineering on Azure Certification preferable
- Proven experience of one or more cloud environments is essential;
- Experience of Google Analytics would be an advantage;
- Expertise in Microsoft tools Excel, MS Access etc.;
- Knowledge of the insurance industry would be an advantage.
Competencies & Functional Skills
- Strong negotiation skills are required to guide, influence and persuade others within own remit;
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to collaborate with team members and communicate effectively with senior stakeholders and management;
- Provide key stakeholders and management with timely and accurate information, advice and solutions in order to meet business objectives.
- Self-motivated, with a clear ability to use own initiative and work to tight deadlines in a pressurised environment;
- Ability to prioritise activities and multi-task, and motivate team resources to optimise the level and quality of service delivery;
- Proven ability at problem solving with an analytical approach, but also with an understanding of key business and financial challenges in delivering any solution;