Our Favourite Travel Apps
Don’t Leave Without Them
At Chill Insurance, we love to live by our moto; Chill, we'll take it from here. So to make your travels as painless as possible we've listed some of our favourite free travel apps.
According to a recent article in the Independent there are 17,000 travel apps available, so picking the right ones can be tricky, but we hope our list will make things a little bit easier for you. You'll see we've included everything from apps which help with translation to those that let you research and book you next holiday. Our advice is to download them before you travel to avoid being stung by expensive roaming charges.
- Are you looking for an exotic getaway or last minute deal? If you are, then take a look at the Airbnb app. With accommodation listed from over 33,000 cities in 192 countries it really is the perfect way to plan and book your next adventure. The app can be downloaded from the Airbnb website on both Android and iPhone.
- Google Translate
- Do you ever struggle with the local language on your travels? Google Translate can help. The app which can be downloaded on Android and iPhone is the perfect way to remember some of the basics and has a dictionary of over 50 different languages. All you need to do is speak into your phone and the app will automatically translate what you are saying. This app won't make you a native speaker, but it'll definitely make things easier.
- There's nothing worse than looking for a cab, and not having the number of a local company, especially if you're in a new city. Hailo changes all that. This hugely popular app available on both Android and iPhone lets you see what cabs are in the local area and make a booking via your smartphone. Hailo currently have cabs drivers in Barcelona, Boston, Chicago, London, Madrid, New York, Tokyo, Toronto, as well as Dublin, so not being able to call a cab will hopefully become a thing of the past.
- Put the fun back into planning your perfect holiday with Tripomatic. This app for both Android and iPhone allows you to plan your holiday by viewing different activities on a map and then adding what you like to your trip. It also makes useful recommendations and lets you search different trips by location, so there's no reason to miss out seeing popular attractions again.
- XE Currency
- When you're travelling outside the Eurozone it can sometime be confusing and daunting handing over cash if you're not familiar with the currency. To make sure you don't get hit with a bad exchange rate, we recommend that you download the XE Currency app. It's available on a range of smartphones and the live currency converter will let you see what you get for your money.
If you're heading off on your holiday soon, make sure you download your favourite apps and take out travel cover now! We're even offering 10% off travel insurance* until the end of the month.
* Offer is available until 31 March 2013 and applies only to single trip and multi-trip policies.