In the News
What We Read in January
January can be a great month for press releases and statistics, so we have decided to look at what news we thought was interesting and that you might have missed. We look at an increase in the number of people travelling, improved building sentiment and the success of two brothers from Limerick. Travel Numbers Increase.
Irish people went on 2.6 million domestic trips in the third quarter of 2013 which was up 5% on the previous period of 2012.The trips lasted for, on average, 4 days. The CSO has more information at this link. Are you are thinking of going travelling and are unsure about getting travel insurance? Read our FAQ's to learn more.
- Fall in the Number of New Buildings
- Amazingly there is currently 1,900, 672 registered in Ireland at present. There was however a 36% decrease in the number of new buildings built in Ireland in 2013. Dublin with an increase of 47% and Carlow with a decrease of 78% were the big movers of the last year. Read more about the changes on www.geodirectory.ie. If you have two minutes and are looking to renew, or take out, your home insurance we’re on hand to help. Click here to see to learn more.
- Entrepreneur Spirit
- There was interesting piece from Forbes which highlighted how the Irish tech entrepreneurs are rebooting Ireland’s economy. The article looked at the some of the success stories of the last number of years as well as looking at how the Irish entrepreneurial spirit is still alive. If you want to read the article just follow this link.
- Improved Building Sentiment
- Ulster Bank released a report on the Irish construction sector. The report looked at the rise in employment numbers and purchasing within the construction industry. To read more of the report just follows this link.
- January was a big month for the Collison brothers from Limerick. Their company, Stripe, is on the verge of a deal with Twitter and has been valued at US$.75bn during its most recent round of funding. Stripe enables faster transactions for websites and makes payment easier online.
As those 5 stories showed, January was a good news month. If you saw any other news from the month that piqued your interest, let us know in the comments below.
Have any questions about home, business or travel insurance? Our team is always here to help. Feel free to tweet us on @chill_insurance, find us on Facebook or call us on 1890 30 20 20 to speak to one of the team.